Saturday, August 22, 2009

TL1000R Reviews

Sumber:www.epinions.com/review/2000_Suzuki_TL1000R/content_59127271044
superbikeking's Full Review: 2000 Suzuki TL1000R
This Superbike comes with one of the strongest race inspired twins ever created (121hp at the rear wheel-MotorCyclist Magazine). I own a 2001 TL1000R in the Hornet Yellow. The twin sounds and performs best with aftermarket exhaust and air filter systems.
My recommendations are either a Yoshimura RS3 Race system or an M4 Race system. Both are evenly priced and produce similar numbers on the dyno. Regardless of which system you choose, a Power Commander (PCII) II or III Fuel Injection Enhancer is a definate must. I installed everything on my bike in about 2 and 1/2 hours. The remapping with the PCII was as simple as downloading a program onto your PC. One thing I discovered that was very bad with the stock exhaust system was that the metal O-ring that connected the twin pipes under the motor was crushed and looked more like a D-ring. This probably led to the minor throttle problems I had or even created an exhaust leak.

The performance of the TLR is superb for a chunker. At 490 wet, this "Beast" does tend to slow in the corners, but after losing 25 pounds with the new Yoshimura RS3 full exhaust system it's now a joy to test the Dunlops. There are a few other ways to strip the weight, but this can get expensive. At 465 wet, I'm happy. I'm a 200 pounder anyway, so no matter what I ride I'm heavier than the next guy.

The throttle response with the new PCII is imminent. No hesitation, compared to stock form, and midrange punch is now amazing. I thought it was fun to ride stock! The first 3 gears were boosted dramatically, and the top end picked up a little. The use of the top end, however, is rarely seen by the every day street rider.

I have friends with CBR929's, R1's GSXR750's and 1000's, but they have not been able to use any of their bikes' potential. The TLR flies through the gears at RPM's compatible to street riding. After hitting the freeway, however, it's time to play catch up... a trade I accepted when I sold my 99 R1. After the few mods I made, the catch up turned into, who's the better rider... that is until my buddy's upgrade their bikes.

If I wanted a die hard racer I would have kept the Yammy R1, but commuting, long trips, or even sport touring on that bike was out of the question. With my size, I was constantly flexing my wrists after each stop. A real pain, especially when the bike's seating position forces your upper body onto your wrists. No problem with the TLR. The seating position for big is perfect.

The TLR comes with the optional rear seat. The rear seat is a big comfortable cushion that is easily swapped out with the factory rear cowl. Either way you ride, the bike looks good. The only complaint on appearance would be the dull headlight cover. I thought Suzook would surely go crystal clear like on all the newer modeled Sport and Superbikes.

The last thing on the TLR is the potential numbers for those of you looking to upgrade from stock. After the exhaust, air filter, and Power Commander installs I took the "Beast" to be fine tuned at a local performance shop. After 3 dynos and a little remapping, my TLR produced a whopping 129 hp at the rear wheel at 8600 RPMs. (Stock power on this TLR was amazing, since the average stock TLR produces anywhere from 118 to 121 hp at the rear wheel.) My technician believed the aftermarket accessories I installed and he perfected gave my bike about 9 HP. Rumors say the M4 may give you 1 more hp all around the power band. We'll see once my buddy picks up his new TLR in the Suzuki Team Blue.

I recommend you fine tune your bike before accepting the upgrades as is. After the remapping and fine tuning, my TLR not only performed better, but gave me about 11 more miles to the gallon. The "Beast" is now unleashed and sounds amazing. Only this 996cc V-Twin can produce the sound of that it does. No four bangers even come close.

TL1000R: Like a Trained Vegas Tiger
Written: Dec 10 '00 (Updated Dec 31 '00)

Product Rating: Product Rating: 5.0
Pros: Fast and Very Powerful, Good Handling

Cons: Really Large, Has to be Driven not Ridden

EdTeach's Full Review: 2000 Suzuki TL1000R
This brute even looks intimidating. It's Suzuki's latest V-Twin answer to the liter bike craze. This bike hasn't really changed much over the last three model years. I suppose Suzuki has kept busy updating their Gixxer 750 and now the 600 and 1000. It just so happens that the TLR hasn't needed upgrades.

Quick Specs

The TL1000R is a 996cc 90 degree fuel injected V-Twin. The R indicates that this bike is the full faring version. Suzuki has come under fire for this bike's looks. I'll admit the big swooping body work does somewhat hide the bike's girth. But then tucking behind the shield at 145 mph feels like you're just putting around the interstate. The faring does a tremendous job of getting you out of the wind and keeping the bike on the ground. It literally sucks you into the pavement.

Performance

This bike definitely wasn't designed to take any high speed records though. We'll let Suzuki push that envelope with the GSXR1300 Hayabusa. This bike was destined for the race track. Stock, it's got around 117 hp at the rear wheel. But that's not where it's merits lie. Since it's a twin, this bike has tons of torque to quickly catapult you into your power band, which is naturally lower anyway. So while your buddies on their Gixxers are quickly trying to rev their bikes up to get at their horse power, you are yards ahead. And then you're slowing down for a curve or a light, so they never really got to flex their muscle.

Handling

This is by no means a lightweight sport bike. Here are some dimensions stolen from Suzuki's Site:

Overall Length: 2100mm (82.6 in.)
Overall Width: 740mm (29.1 in.)
Overall Height: 1120mm (44.0 in.)
Seat Height: 825mm (32.5 in.)
Ground Clearance: 120mm (4.7 in.)
Wheelbase: 1395mm (54.9 in.)
Dry Weight: 197kg (434 lbs.)

So it's not one of those small finesse running backs like Warrick Dunn. I'd say more of a Mike Alstott.

So you would suspect that a bike like this would be just another point-and-shoot muscle bike, but it's not. Suzuki overcame this by giving it aggressive geometry, good stock suspension, and excellent stoppers. And to top it off, they've delivered it in a package that responds well to some aggressive input. It's not a Ducati: you're never going to be able to flick this bike through corners. But you can put a little muscle into it and slam it through the corner. Just be careful accelerating out on the stock tires. The engine is full of torque, and it will slide your back end around whether that was your intention or not if you lay on the gas.

Tweak-ability

I bike was stock when I bought it used (~800 miles), and I haven't done any modifications yet. But I've read that this bike does well with after market cans and a popular air box modification. We'll leave that for another epinion.

Decision 2000

If you're in the market for a big twin, but you can't go Italian, then this is a great bike. It's big though. You'll need to be a big physical rider. Or if you're undersized like myself at 5'7", then you'll need to pretend that you're a big physical rider. The bike responds well to strong input. Much like one of those Tigers out in Vegas, that they always warn you about. "This animal can tear it's trainer's head off in an instant. But the trainer's assertiveness and strong demeanor keep the lion in line." Right...



Recommended:
Yes

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP